Saturday 16 May 2009

My 2006 Backup System

Devised in 2006.

Basically, a bunch of folders. Each folder is prefixed My (for data, email, music generated by me) or by Others (data created by anyone else).

Folders starting 'My' are a priority to backup, and basically irreplaceable.

Folders starting 'Others' can be re-downloaded (if still on the Web/FTP/Torrent), and music and movies can be re-downloaded or re-purchased.

Typically, My takes up a small fragment of Others. It's good to separate them for this reason, in case an emergency backup needs doing. My first, Others later.

MyBooks
MyChatLogs
MyCubaseProjects (Cubase music files / songs)
MyDocuments
MyMail
MyPictures
MyMusic
MySpreadsheets

OthersBooks
OthersDocuments
OthersDownloads (typically software install files and drivers)
OthersGames
OthersModTrackers (.MOD music files)
OthersMiscSingles (random songs)
OthersMovies (DVD rips, etc)
OthersMP3Albums (music albums)
OthersPictures
OthersPrograms (installed software)
OthersRippedCDS (CD album rips and FLAC albums)
OthersScripts
OthersTorrents (.torrent files, not downloaded files)

No comments: